Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Promotion time for Jason Kenney

Foreign policy has always been a sub-section of Canadian politics that I have paid a great amount of attention to. It's the area of politics that I wish to build a career in and one that I study with great interest in school. That being said, the whole Bernier affair has blemished my interest of late in reading news articles or blogs concerning Canada's foreign policy. Of late, all I've read is that Canada's foreign image has been tarnished by the actions of an inexperienced and probably overwhelmed minister. Well, I'm tired of hearing about it and I'm ready to look to the future. The impending cabinet shuffle that keeps being mentioned in the news leads me to ponder the question: who will be Canada's next Minister of Foreign Affairs?

Presently, David Emerson has had the Foreign Affairs portfolio added to his current responsibilities as Minister of International Trade. According to Michelle Collins, in her recent article in the Embassy magazine, there is great speculation that Emerson will retain his new responsibilities in the impending cabinet shuffle.

I have no doubt that David Emerson would be a much better minister than Maxime Bernier was, but I see this as an opportunity to promote a young member who has had a proven track record in dealing with international affairs and whose political portfolio reflects Canada's multicultural citizenship. My choice for the next person to fulfill this crucial role would be Secretary of State for Multiculturalism and Canadian Identity Jason Kenney (Calgary Southeast). He is a young member who could inject some fresh blood into a senior cabinet position while not sacrificing capability or competence. As secretary of state, Kenney has defended the Afghan mission in parliament, taken a strong stance on the actions of China in the recent protests/riots in Tibet and played an influential role in the Brenda Martin case. These actions remind me of those that a foreign affairs minister would perform. He has also been free from publicized gaffes as far as I am aware; a trait that would benefit a government that has spent much of its time responding to the controversies that have arisen. Let Mr. Emerson continue his fine work in his current position. Doing so would maintain the positive performance that already exist while invigorating the cabinet for the fall session of parliament.

I believe it is clear that Mr. Kenney has the presence and poise to be Canada's next minister of foreign affairs, and looking back, I don't seem to be the only person who believes so. In searching for some background information for this post I found that noted Canadian blogger Steve Janke believes that Mr. Kenney would be a fine choice as well. I must be on the right track if I am in agreement with him.

Hopefully this summer Prime Minister Harper will see fit to recognize this potential star candidate and provide him with the promotion he deserves.

- blenCOWe

No comments:

Powered By Blogger