Saturday, April 11, 2009

An Interesting Find

I was surfing around the web the other day, cruising from one blog to another and onto different websites and I found a nice little gem.

Dr. Michael J. Tierney, Associate Professor at the College of William and Mary, has put together a playlist for topics of international relations. According to his website, he starts his Intro to International Relations classes with a song that he has tied to the topic of discussion.

I love this idea for two reasons: 1) I think the choices of song are great and really speak to the topics and, 2) I think this is a great idea for academics.

Art and media are great mediums to get messages across to people and have them start thinking about issues. Even more, I think that this idea is a great way to entice students into thinking about the different topics. I like the way Dr. Tierney is attempting to engage his students and make the subject exciting. I don't know what intro classes at the College of William and Mary are like but I know intro classes in Canada tend to be brutally boring and mundane so efforts like these are paramount to getting people interested, and keeping them interested. So I guess what I am saying is good work Dr. Tierney!

Make sure you check out the playlist,

- blenCOWe

No comments:

Powered By Blogger